vcds307 Visual Communication Design III
Ceren Kayalar, Daniele Savasta
Description (course content)
Introduction to design for digital media with a human centered approach.
Students will learn the methods and the qualities of interaction design by applying them directly to design projects and training exercises.
Topics include screen based affordances and interface behaviours, mobile app, generative art, video games.
From sketches to digital prototypes the students will be challenged by the aim of using "these expressive languages to develop a much richer digital environments for their fellow citizen".
Goals (Aim of course)
- Enriching and practicing known methods and tools
- Design research
- Grids and layout
- Linear storyboards
- Adobe Creative suite (photoshop/illustrator/indesign)
- Introduce an interaction design vocabulary and theoretical toolkit
- Algorithmic Thinking
- Non-linear storyboards
- Flowmap and walkthrough
- Paper prototype
- Interactive digital prototype
- Introduce new tools of interaction design
- Adobe Experience Design
- 2.5 weeks | Familiarization
- 3 weeks | Project 1: Izmir metro interactive screen
- 4 weeks | Project 2: UI design in collaboration with Vestel
- 7 weeks | Project 3: Design a videogame and prototype its demo
|Project dev and reviews
||Project dev and reviews
- IDEO Method Cards: 51 ways to inspire design; learn, look, ask, try. (2003). London: Ideo.
- Löwgren, J., & Stolterman, E. (2007). Thoughtful interaction design: a design perspective on information technology. Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press.
- Moggridge, B. (2007). Designing interactions. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.
- Reas, C., & Fry, B. (2015). Getting started with processing. San Francisco, CA: Maker Media.
- Schell, J. (2015). The art of game design: a book of lenses. Boca Raton, FL: AK Peters.
- Sharp, H., Rogers, Y., & Preece, J. (2016). Interaction design: beyond human-computer interaction. Chichester: Wiley.
- Sultan Kaygin Sel, Interaction Designer at Vestel
- Selçuk Artut, Interaction Designer at Filika
- Christopher Ferraris, Game Designer and instructor at Yasar
- Altuğ Isığan, Game Designer Independent
- Processing Day (Saturday October 21, 2017) MIT Media Lab
Contribution to final grade
|Practice: In-class exercises
|Projects: Project 1
|Projects: Project 2
|Final Project: Project 3
Contribution to project grade
Developing and presenting the results of methods on-time.
Aesthetical quality of the final artifact.
Understanding of the programming development.
If you are wondering the kind of job you may ultimately apply for, look at this recent UX position at Airbnb in San Francisco, California: No global movement springs from individuals. It takes
an entire team united behind something big. Together, we work
hard, we laugh a lot, we brainstorm nonstop, we use hundreds of
Post-Its a week, and we give the best high-fives in town…
- Blog: for schedule, syllabus and activities description
- Slack: for announcements and communication
- Google Drive: for digital submissions